Swimming Pools & Enclosures
You plan to install a spa or a swimming pool in your back yard this summer?
Please note that in the Township of Champlain we are most concerned about safety, particularly that of our children and of all our residents and visitors in our jurisdiction. Consequently, owners of privately-owned hot tubs and swimming pools, whether in ground, above ground or inflatable (with 18 inches of water and more), have to obtain a permit from our Department. An inspection from one of our officers follows the installation to ensure compliance with the By-law and other regulations.
Safety points to keep in mind:
- First, it is very important that the location is approved by the Chief Building Official to ensure that they are properly located in relation to septic tanks, septic fields and property lines.
- All in ground swimming pool enclosures must be at least 1.5 meters (5 feet) in height.
- All above ground swimming pools whose walls are 1.2 meters (4 feet) or more are considered to be enclosed. Access to the pool (ladders, stairs or decks) must be restricted and provided with locking devices.
- Lockable covers over inflatable pools and hot tubs are considered an acceptable and approved means to prevent access.
- Accessory equipment such as pool filters, water heaters and pumps must be located no less than 36 inches from the pool wall to prevent climbing access.
- If any deck is constructed as part of the installation of the pool, construction details and location must also be approved by the Building Department.